Letter to Employer for Unpaid Wages By Dan Atkerson on September 07, 2019

Writing a checkAttorney Dan A. Atkerson believes that workers in the state of Texas should be treated fairly. Our law firm fights diligently to ensure that our clients receive any unpaid overtime and other wages they are owed. We’ve helped people throughout the state, particularly the Allen, Plano, and Frisco, TX areas.

If you’re trying to receive wages you are owed, drafting a letter to request delinquent pay is often a good idea. Let’s discuss why that is and what additional steps you can take if the letter proves ineffective.

Why a Letter Demanding Unpaid Wages Is a Good Idea

If you haven’t been paid for overtime or any work that you’ve done, it’s important that there be some kind of paper trail. If you’re still at your current job, you can speak with your supervisor about the issue and send internal emails. A record of correspondence usually helps get matters addressed as soon as possible.

If you’ve been fired, laid off, or left a company on your own accord, however, sending a letter is the best first step in getting the wages you’re owed. This helps create a formal request for the compensation you earned.

What the Letter Should Contain

When sending a letter to request unpaid wages, be sure to include the date the letter was written, the amount that you are owed, and specify the type of wages owed, and the dates that these wages were owed. You will also want to include the address where the owed wages can be sent. Any other details relevant to your request can be included based on your discretion.

There are many templates you can find online with regard to general wording and tone.

What If I Do Not Get a Response to This Letter?

If you do not receive a response to you letter after a week or so, be sure to follow-up with emails and calls. Be courteous and assertive when following up. If you can speak directly with a former supervisor, that is best and may be able to expedite matters.

Wage Claims with the Texas Workforce Commission

If there is sill no response to your letter or follow-ups, it’s important that you file a formal complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission. The TWC will enforce the Texas Payday Law to help you recover any wages that you are owed. This puts a state agency behind your request for unpaid wages, and allows for greater pressure on your former employer and enforcement should they fail to comply.

When Do I Have Submit a Wage Claim By?

You have 180 days to submit a claim with the TWC. That 180 days starts on the date that the unpaid wages were originally due. This is why you should not delay the process.

If sending a letter and making formal demands and follow-ups on your own cannot be done, you may want to simply submit a claim with the TWC as soon as possible so your claim can be received before the 180 days are up.

How an Employment Lawyer Can Help

The process of fighting for unpaid wages can be difficult. Even with the TWC on your side, you may require additional assistance. This is why it’s so important to work with an employment law attorney. They can determine the best course of action for receiving unpaid wages and help be assertive with your former employer and their legal representatives.

Learn More About Collecting Unpaid Wages

For more information on how to collect unpaid wages, it’s important that you contact our law firm. You can reach the Law Offices of Dan A. Atkerson by phone in Allen by calling (214) 383-3606.

Related to This

Get In Touch

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite

Allen Office

1025 Arches Park Dr
Allen, TX 75013

Closed Today

What is the best time for you?

Add additional time

Tell us a bit about yourself...

(214) 383-3606 Send a message