House Representative Banished for Alleged Sexual Harassment
Tennessee Rep. Jeremy Durham has been effectively banished to another building after Attorney General Herbert Slatery found truth in a number of sexual harassment claims. In addition to restricting Durham to an office away other state employees, House Speaker Beth Harwell has prohibited him from interacting with most other staff and interns.
Sexual Harassment Claims Against Tennessee Rep. Jeremy DurhamAccording to the Tennessee attorney general’s report, Durham may still pose a risk to female staff members working for the state as well as those working for third parties interacting with legislature.
Slatery’s investigation was instigated after the Tennesseean released its own findings, which detailed a number of accounts from current and former employees who say Durham acted inappropriately. Slatery said in a memo concerning interviews with 34 separate people, that Durham:
- Held a position of power over the accusing women
- Used state resources to collect personal contact information for the women under the premise of state business
- Is known to include alcohol in most meetings with women
- Tried to meet many women alone
- Made contact with the women to talk about matters unrelated to work
- Sent inappropriate messages to a number of women
- Initiated inappropriate physical contact with many women
Slatery made copies of Durham’s work computer hard drive and requested access to his social media accounts and electronic devices. With those, the attorney general found evidence to corroborate the stories.
The investigation is ongoing, and Durham has hired an attorney to represent him through the process. Durham has repeatedly denied accusations of sexual harassment, and has called the investigation into his actions “unusual.” At the time of writing, he still plans to run for re-election.
If you are experiencing sexual harassment at work, contact Dallas employment lawyer Dan A. Atkerson for a free consultation. He may be able to help you put an end to it and get compensation for your troubles.