What Is A Love Contract?
When two employees start dating, they may be asked to sign a love contract, which basically states that they are voluntarily entering a relationship.
Love contracts are fairly new, surfacing about a decade ago, but have become more popular in recent years. A September 2013 study by the Society for Human Resource Management found that the percentage of companies with written romance policies has doubled since 2005.
According to an article in D Magazine, in most love contracts, the parties agree that the following statements are true:
- Their relationship is voluntary and consensual
- They will abide by the employer’s anti-harassment policies
- They agree to not allow the relationship to affect their work
- Neither will make decisions that could affect the other’s pay, hours, career, or promotional opportunities
- They will not engage in any behavior that could create a hostile work environment
- If the relationship ends, neither will retaliate against the other
Atkerson Law – Dallas Employment Law Attorney